May 14 is Mother’s Day – a holiday dedicated to showering our moms with cards, flowers, gifts and hugs. It’s a day set aside to show our moms how much we appreciate all the years they dedicated to raising us. Some children are able to spend this special day with their mothers, while others call and express their appreciation for all the sacrifices their moms made. The day is traditionally filled with good meals, laughter, and joy, but Mother’s Day can be difficult for military moms.
So whether a military mom is active-duty and away from their spouse and kids or is back home while their spouse deployed, there are many ways to show your appreciation for them this Mother’s Day.
For the active-duty military mom:
- Set up a video chat. For a mom who is deployed, seeing the face and hearing the voice of her children can make a huge difference. If you can, set up a time to video chat or call on Mother’s Day.
- Send a care package. This is a great opportunity to send things that she might not normally be able to find while deployed, like lotion, snacks or books. Check out Military.com for a guide to sending care packages.
- Send encouraging notes. The thoughts of children, family and friends mean a lot, and taking the time to gather encouraging notes to send your mom will be a huge morale boost.
For the mom who is a spouse of a deployed service member:
- Treat her to a spa day. Give her a day all to herself by arranging for a babysitter and a day full of pampering and things that she’ll enjoy.
- Take her out for a special meal. Make the experience of the Mother’s Day meal all about her and treat her to a time with the kids and other family.
- Arrange for the delivery of gifts. For a spouse who is deployed, be sure to send your significant other a personal note and go online to order a special gift to be delivered by Mother’s Day. This is the perfect way to show her that you’re thinking about her and the kids while you’re away. Many online retailers have military discounts on gifts like flowers, jewelry or chocolate.
It’s important to be aware of military moms and the hardships they might be experiencing around this special day. Check this list of military discounts for gift ideas and places to take her this Mother’s Day.
Posted on May 1 2017 in Blog